The Beginning
I think that the idea of writing a memoir is silly for someone my age... 31, what have I really done in my life that would validate the need to write a book about it. However, as I've grown older I have been subjected to the premise of how fragile life is and how important it is to those around you to understand who you are and where you come from.
Untimely death is a phrase that you hear all to often. "He died to young" or "She went before her time" are things that are said whenever someone has passed before they reach a life status of fulfillment. I do not believe that I have lived a life that warrants someone to sit down and read chapters based on the things I have accomplished, instead I believe that it is my duty as a parent to provide some insight for my children to the lessons I have learned in my 31 years so that in the event of my untimely death, they are left with something.
I do not know where this will lead me, how much I plan to document, or even if I will make it past this first page. I do know however that over the last 10 years the responsibility in my life has changed from one person to four. Three of those will look to me for guidance, support, and understanding as they make life decisions and I decided that if I for some reason am not there to provide those things, I have left a manual of how I would guide them. I can only hope that if something happens to me it will help bring them comfort in times where they would need me.
Update: 2 years later now and guess what, child number four on the way. Going to name him Liam. Receiving my Masters in a few weeks. Survived a few more years... here's to a few more, for now.
Update 2: Still kicking this around and Liam is 2 now. Almost 38 myself. Time flies. Enjoy it while it lasts.
Untimely death is a phrase that you hear all to often. "He died to young" or "She went before her time" are things that are said whenever someone has passed before they reach a life status of fulfillment. I do not believe that I have lived a life that warrants someone to sit down and read chapters based on the things I have accomplished, instead I believe that it is my duty as a parent to provide some insight for my children to the lessons I have learned in my 31 years so that in the event of my untimely death, they are left with something.
I do not know where this will lead me, how much I plan to document, or even if I will make it past this first page. I do know however that over the last 10 years the responsibility in my life has changed from one person to four. Three of those will look to me for guidance, support, and understanding as they make life decisions and I decided that if I for some reason am not there to provide those things, I have left a manual of how I would guide them. I can only hope that if something happens to me it will help bring them comfort in times where they would need me.
Update: 2 years later now and guess what, child number four on the way. Going to name him Liam. Receiving my Masters in a few weeks. Survived a few more years... here's to a few more, for now.
Update 2: Still kicking this around and Liam is 2 now. Almost 38 myself. Time flies. Enjoy it while it lasts.